Under the supervision of a physician, assists as a first or second assistant on major or minor operations. The role encompasses leadership, partnership, collaboration, and integration of services throughout the department of surgery. The Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA) demonstrates and maintains a level of surgical competence and proficiency. Informs Nursing staff and Physician Assistants about surgical techniques and surgical care.
1. Reviews cases assigned; performs as first or second assistant to the attending surgeon on major or minor operations, including but not limited to positioning the patient for procedures, placement of tourniquets, supports, and devices, preparing surgical site, draping the patient maintaining a sterile field, inserting necessary tubes, drains, catheters, packing, and ortho devices.
2. Prepares, selects and assembles necessary surgical equipment and supplies as dictated by surgical procedure and the proposed surgical care plan.
3. Attends department meetings and participates in perioperative education programs as appropriate.
4. Maintains and/or enhances professional expertise through appropriate educational and organizational activities.
5. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Minimum Qualifications
1. Graduation from a certified surgical assistant program approved by the Committee on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) or the National Surgical Assistant Association (NSAA). Bachelor's degree in science, Nursing or a directly related field, preferred.
2. Certification as a Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA).
3. Two to three years of experience in surgery.
4. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
1. Manual dexterity and mechanical ability to assist surgeon in complex surgical techniques.
2. Physical stamina for prolonged standing, walking, and lifting.
3. Analytical ability necessary to monitor and deliver appropriate response to changes in patient condition, to monitor data lab reports, x-rays, physical findings, etc. and, in consultation with the attending physician, develop treatment plans.
Interpersonal skills necessary for eliciting medical and psychosocial history, instructing patients and families, and maintaining productive relationships with medical and Nursing staff.
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 2005003133
About DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.