Twin Falls, Idaho
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Foster City, California
Ann Arbor, Michigan
College Station, Texas
Location: Macon, Georgia
Internal Number: 121097349
$10,000 Sign-on Bonus for external candidates
Careers at Landmark, part of the Optum and UnitedHealth Group family of businesses. At Landmark, we work to deliver high quality, comprehensive care to chronically ill patients wherever they reside and whenever they need it. We focus on doing what’s right for the people we serve, even when it’s not easy. This is your opportunity to be part of a compassionate team that is setting out to change health care for complex, chronic patients. We’re looking for driven people like you because changing the status quo takes dedication. Here, we’ll invest in your personal and professional growth while giving you a unique opportunity to make a difference. Helping people feel their best is a rewarding part of doing your life’s best work.(sm)
The Associate Medical Director (AMD) provides direct and indirect medical care and population health management to patients served by the Homebased Medical Care team. This role reports directly to the Market Medical Director. This role also provides clinical and operational oversight to a team of physicians and advanced level practitioners assigned to them. The AMD also acts as a leader for the zone’s physician Pod leader, APPs and other interdisciplinary team patients, all accountable for serving a patient population and/or geography within a market
The AMD directs and helps build the capacity of a team of providers in a zone to manage a population of complex patients, and is responsible for achieving clinical outcomes, optimizing utilization/costs, and ensuring high patient satisfaction within that zone. This position is a blend of direct and indirect patient care and administrative duties.
- Direct & Indirect Patient Care
- Provide direct patient care to HbMC patients not less than one full day per week (or 20%-25% FTE) in face-to-face visits
- Complete comprehensive chart reviews and ride along of providers in their respective zone in order to ensure high quality care of patients
- Participate in the market on call schedule and provide telephonic on-call coverage that require telephonic triage based on market needs
- Support advanced level practitioners with in-person or telephonic clinical consultations
- Provide real time supervision of Urgentivist Extenders (paramedics or RNs/LPNs/LVNs) as needed
- Review reports and data to improve population health for patients within their zone and patient panel
- Provide clinical leadership, oversee quality and execute clinical operations within a defined zone
- Oversee the application of specific measurements of quality and ensure that all providers consistently meet thresholds
- Remain current in the knowledge of geriatrics, utilization management, quality management, managed care principals and new clinical developments and technologies
- Participate in the continuous assessment and improvement of the quality of care provided to patients
- At the direction of the Market Medical Director participate in the resolution of medically related grievances
- Team Performance Management
- Supervise Physician POD leaders and advanced practice practitioners (APP) directly reporting to AMD, including conducting regular 1:1s, proactively providing performance feedback, reviews and mentorship, overseeing provider education, in-service training, and orientation
- Serve as a Collaborating Physician to assigned Nurse Practitioners as required under the laws of the applicable state
- Support the Market Medical Director in recruiting advanced practice practitioners and physicians, ensuring the pursuit of talent with the appropriate mix of clinical skills and behavioral qualities to retain a high performing team
- Proactive ownership for zone’s performance against key clinical and operational performance metrics
- Ownership of onboarding support and clinical education to providers in the zone and as directed by the MMD
- Assist with creating, publishing and participating in the call schedule, approving PTO and other administrative activities
- Delegate non-direct clinical activities as above to APC supervisors as allowed
- Interdisciplinary Team Leadership
- Lead and participate in interdisciplinary team meetings, including case reviews that engage the full team, teaching on relevant clinical topics, and training on new protocols and workflows
- Participate in provider and physician meetings
- Join daily huddle with a focused team of interdisciplinary staff
- Health Plan & Community Relations
- Assist Market Medical Director in enhancing community relationships with targeted and local hospitals, PCPs, community acute care, SNF, LTC and ALF facilities in the market
- Act as a local leader and advocate for the Homebased Medical Care model with community providers and delivery systems and other community partners or potential business partners
- Serve as an advocate for the team with community providers when escalation is necessary and ensure appropriate resolution
- Participate in client meetings as directed by the MMD
- Strategy & Standardization
- Support implementation of centrally led initiatives and develop market-led improvement initiatives
- Support Market Medical Director when needed for meetings within and outside of Homebased Medical Care
- Participate actively in all Peer Review activities
- Other duties as assigned by the Market Medical Director
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Medical Doctorate or Doctorate of Osteopathy
- Current, valid, non-sanctioned, non-restricted license to practice medicine in the state or multiple states corresponding with the needs of the assigned and covered patients
- Board Certified or Board Eligible with preference in Internal Medicine, Geriatrics or Palliative Medicine sub-specialty, Family Practice or Emergency Medicine
- Current DEA
- Experience in leading teams of physicians and mid-level providers in delivering high-quality, cost-effective care
- Experience in recruiting and hiring medical talent along with continuous supervision of the medical care delivered
- Experience in coaching patients of the health care team to provide excellent care or, if needed, determine deficiencies in care and formulate a plan for improvement
- Knowledge of geriatrics, palliative medicine, utilization management, quality management, managed care principals and new clinical developments and technologies.
- Extensive experience in providing medical care to geriatrics and/or seriously ill patients
- Knowledge of clinical standards of care
- Access to reliable transportation; if you are driving a vehicle, you must comply with all the terms of the Optum Motor Vehicle Safety policy
- Ability to analyze staffing needs sufficient to care for the patient panel
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 2+ years clinical experience, home-based care
- Awareness about UM standards, NCQA requirements, CMS guidelines, Milliman guidelines, and Medicaid/Medicare contracts and benefit systems
- Familiarity with Medicare Guidelines
- Familiarity with CPT and ICD-10 codes as related to billing practices
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
**PLEASE NOTE** The Sign On Bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or a related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis (“Internal Candidates”) are not eligible to receive a Sign On Bonus.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.